Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Resignation

I'm of mixed feelings. As far as I can understand, the terror list is not the "name-calling" list, it's the "no-fundraising" list.

If Borys W. and Peggy N. don't understand that, then I don't feel they are really up to speed on Foreign Affairs/Relations, and BW probably should, on that basis alone, resign as Critic.

Apparently, he is on tape saying Hezbollah should be removed from the list - and so, my feeling is that his denials are dishonest. That also is call to resign.

If he said that, I do NOT begrudge him making an offhand comment about a thought still-in-progress. Rather than denying, however, he should have excused himself for speaking too fast. He handled himself poorly.

This is why I don't love having MPs as Cabinet and such.

2 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

Sometimes off-hand comments can show us the true feelings of the speakers.

A perfect example is Mel Gibson. The catalyst for the public display of his anti-semetism was alcohol.

In the cases of Borys W. and Peggy N. a trip to Lebanon acted as a catalyst for the display of their true feelings on the subject.

However, I do not begrudge him having an opposing viewpoint on the topic and I don't think he should have been forced to resign unless his position is in direct contrast to the Liberal party's platform (which it is in this case).

I just think they're 'useful idiots' and I hope they get a quick send-off by the voters (which I doubt will happen).

Oh... btw, Brian Masse (my MP) also stated that we should consider removing Hezbollah from the terror list...

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 8:50:00 PM  
Blogger Jacques Beau Vert said...

I heard about Masse last night, actually!

I don't regret voting for Nash, it was very important to me to get Bulte out, and I'm glad she's gone.

I'll be just as happy to vote to remove Nash next time, though, believe me.

(I don't at all mind his opposing viewpoint, but I feel he doesn't understand the function of the terror list, which I believe makes him unqualified to be Critic)

Thursday, August 24, 2006 6:37:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home