Monday, August 21, 2006

Call him Bob

My dad has three pick-up trucks, two rifles and a shotgun. He's got a big bone to pick with the NDP, but whenever Bob Rae's name comes up, he's always said, "But I tell you, he wasn't too bad at all, that guy just did what any sensible person in a government would do. It just goes to show you that all of this politics is just talk, it's just for show - none of these guys think any damn thing different from another guy, they just talk different to get votes and then when they're in power, they all do the same things as you or me or anyone with any sense would do."

I don't think it's "all talk just for show", and I think there are differences between most parties, but Bob Rae is no ideologue, and for that I'd be content if he were to end up the champion in the leadership race.

Bush is an ideologue - many of his Left detractors are no better. I like Rae as a practical man looking for solutions rather than an opportunity to advertise ideology (like Howard Hampton, or Jack Layton).

(The "Call him Bob" part refers not to Rae, but rather - me dear olde dad. Gotcha!)

1 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

Lol.. very interesting.

My mother worked for the NDP and my grandfather was a federal NDP candidate and they are disgusted by Bob Rae.

They see his term as Premier as a black mark on the history of the NDP party. They see his crossing to the Liberals as crass political opportunism at its finest and hope he crashes and burns.

I have to agree with them.. Except that if he wins I'm sure the Tories will win another election.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 11:20:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home